Wednesday, July 29, 2015

When we meet discouragement

Some days are all sparkles and rainbows and unicorns. Then some days you pour vitamin C-laden water all over your newish MacBook Air (insert my husband's ill-timed joke about my computer not getting a virus). The latter of which I did last week. I let it dry for 6 days and attempted to turn it back on this afternoon. Nothing. I don't know what I'll do yet and I don't really want to talk about it....

However, I will try to continue blogging as I'm able (I'm presently blogging on a borrowed laptop!).

Today, I was supposed to be at the monastery in Conyers spending the day in quiet reflection with the Lord. I was looking forward to praying my way through a long list of things and spending time in the Word. I was going to post some serene picture, like this:



I needed a reset before school starts back NEXT WEEK. But then I ruined the laptop last week, got behind on a magazine article and Nora got sick. Best laid plans, right?

It's hard not to be discouraged sometimes — especially when you don't understand why God wouldn't honor plans that prioritize Him. I've been trying to blog more in ways that glorify him and my trip to a holy place of worship almost certainly would have done the same. Alas, there are some things we get to know and other times that we simply must trust.

My friend, Emilee, and I were recently pondering this very question. Why, when we're walking in obedience to him, do we sometimes still get met with resistance — or slammed shut doors?

Then she read the devotional for July 28 in My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers and we both got goosebumps:

"We are apt to imagine that if Jesus Christ constrains us, and we obey Him, He will lead us to great success. We must never put our dreams of success as God's purpose for us; His purpose may be exactly the opposite. We have an idea that God is leading us to a particular end, a desired goal; He is not. The question of getting to a particular end is a mere incident. What we call the process, God calls the end."

Ok, I'm going to spend the last 5 minutes of my sick child's nap in quiet reflection...

No comments:

Post a Comment