Thursday, January 2, 2014

First Project of the New Year

I actually managed one project on day one of 2014! A chalkboard picture frame. Lookie:


Haley is my precious niece. I think I'm going to give this to her on her first birthday….it's in April…I got excited…..

Here's how I did it. First, gather the raw materials:


Chunky frames work especially nice. I found this antiquing in downtown Newnan. Someone had already painted it black.


Next, prime it with a coat of spray paint:


While that's drying, go ahead and paint your board with its first coat of chalkboard paint.

                                         

I put two coats of primer on my frame. Then I put two coats of white spray paint over top. I think this was the first coat:


I especially like that you could see a little of the black peeking through the white. Made it look a little more shabby chic.

                                        

Then, voila! Put the two pieces together (I'm going to attach them using a little silicone caulking). Don't forget to mark up the chalkboard with a layer of chalk and erase it before it's ready for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment