Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sweet Potato Maple Muffins

Yes, I know I haven't been blogging about my adventures with power tools. Be patient — I must be since I possess precious few tools. Hopefully my father will be visiting soon with a biscuit joiner and I'll have a new project to share. No, a biscuit joiner is not a piece of sausage, either, as one of my co-workers suggested!

And, speaking of food...

It's been awhile since I've shared a recipe. This is my modification from Gwyneth Paltrow's Sweet Potato & 5-Spice Muffins.


I make them for Nora because there's no added sugar — the sweet potato, maple syrup and spices give it a wonderful flavor. And, when you make it according to the recipe, it's gluten free and dairy free! I will admit though, that I make it with regular flour. I've made it with unsweetened almond milk and regular milk, and both taste delicious. Honduran vanilla extract is my secret baking weapon. My mother-in-law, Rita, brings us back some when she goes on mission trips to Honduras.

I'm sharing this recipe because so many people have asked for it.


INGREDIENTS
1 large sweet potato
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup good-quality maple syrup or xylitol, plus 2 extra tablespoons for brushing the muffins
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups gluten-free flour (if the flour doesnt include xanthan gum, add 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 400F. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a paring knife or fork. Bake until soft (when a paring knife can cut through with zero resistance), about 1 hour. Set the sweet potato aside until its completely cool.
Peel the sweet potato, discard the skin and mash the flesh in a mixing bowl with a fork. Whisk the olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup or xylitol, and vanilla into the sweet potato. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, five-spice powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and evenly distribute the muffin batter among the cups.
Bake at 400F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean, brushing the tops with extra maple syrup during the last 5 minutes of baking. Let the muffins cool before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment