Sunday, February 2, 2014

Get Your Hummus On

I've wanted to make my own homemade hummus F.O.R.E.V.E.R. I love hummus. It's a super food and it tastes good on everything. Only problem: It's decently expensive in the grocery store. Plus it's just better homemade! I have a hard time paying a lot of money for something that I can easily make. No better day than today to give it a try, I finally realized.

Homemade roasted red pepper hummus:


I think it was a success, too! Jonathan said it was the best hummus he'd ever eaten anywhere. I'll take that as a compliment. And I made it from my own recipe. Below are most of the ingredients:


I made modifications after I took this picture. I didn't use paprika for garnish (you can, if desired) and I added cayenne pepper.

Ingredients:

1 roasted red pepper
3 large garlic cloves
1.5 tablespoons EVOO
one 19-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoons sesame tahini
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Method:

Prepare pepper by removing stem and seeds. Broil red pepper for 10-12 minutes, or until charred. Set aside to cool. Peel the skin off. I threw about 3/4ths into my food processor.
Add the remaining ingredients and process until mixture is light and fluffy. Enjoy with veggies, warm pita, on a wrap, or whatever else you can think of! 

I will be doing another batch soon. If you have a great hummus recipe, do share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment